Lead Product Designer
United States - CA, San Francisco
Medidata: Powering Smarter Treatments and Healthier People
Medidata, a Dassault Systèmes company, is leading the digital transformation of life sciences, creating hope for millions of people. Medidata helps generate the evidence and insights to help pharmaceutical, biotech, medical device and diagnostics companies, and academic researchers accelerate value, minimize risk, and optimize outcomes. More than one million registered users across 2,000+ customers and partners access the world's most trusted platform for clinical development, commercial, and real-world data. Known for its ground-breaking technological innovations, Medidata has supported more than 30,000 clinical trials and 9 million study participants. And Medidata’s ongoing commitment to infusing the patient voice into trial designs and solutions is helping to create a better and more inclusive experience for all participants in clinical studies. Medidata is involved in nearly 40% of company-initiated trial starts globally, with studies conducted in more than 140 countries. More than 70% of novel drugs approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) in 2022 were developed with Medidata software. Medidata is headquartered in New York City and has offices around the world to meet the needs of its customers. Discover more at www.medidata.com and follow us @medidata.
Medidata is the leader in developing the technologies that allow our customers to get the medicines to patients faster. Building on our long history of delivering world-class clinical applications to the life sciences industry, Medidata’s Product Organization is staffed with a passionate team of product management experts, tackling the industry’s most difficult technical challenges in order to push the boundaries of possibility for our clients and most importantly, for patients. Together we can deliver meaningful advanced digital transformation to the industry in order to achieve our vision.
Medidata is looking for a Lead Product Designer to create first-in-class user experiences for patients, clinicians and customers utilizing Medidata’s Patient Cloud Platform. The Lead Product Designer will report to the Director, Patient Cloud Design and will interact with designers, engineering, operations and product management to research best practices, design detailed workflows and experiences, deliver visual mockups and prototypes, and assist in user validation. This position requires a senior-level designer that has experience designing user interactions consistent with brand and visual guidelines, and within a shared design system. The Lead Product Designer is a player/coach role; key to your success will be your ability to lead and motivate other designers through mastery of craft, expert knowledge of best practices, and the ability to frame product needs into design problems.
The ideal candidate must have experience designing and implementing pixel-perfect components for design systems and fully rendered design mockups. As player/coach you will iterate on solutions and work with other designers to finalize design solutions. The candidate is responsible for creating and maintaining user-interface elements, components and layouts, creating clickable prototypes and producing assets to be used in production, for design presentations and marketing communications.
The candidate must follow the latest research and best practices, contribute to the organization and health of our design asset library, and be a respectful senior team member who thrives in a collaborative environment, and has a strong reputation of accountability.
- Adopt a user-centered approach to design
- Stay current on best practices, trends and patterns for consumer and enterprise applications
- Assist in validating product ideas on actual users and customers by participating in discovery workshops and creating design prototypes
- Translate research and testing findings into actionable requirements
- Thrive in a highly collaborative, fast-paced, agile environment
- Work closely with product management, designers, engineers, and data scientists to deliver first-class user interfaces
- As player/coach, iterate on solutions and work with other designers to finalize design solutions
- Ability to take lead on product design projects and collaborate with a small team of designers
- Lead and motivate other designers through mastery of craft and expert knowledge of best practices
- Ability to frame product needs into design problems
- Understanding of UX research methods
- Ability to create persona, user journey map, service blueprints, etc. based on user research
- Knowledge and experience in responsive and adaptive design
- Ability to interpret business and functional requirements from a user-centered as opposed to feature-centered perspective
- Excellent conceptual and problem-solving skills
- Excellent written and oral communications skills, with advanced public speaking and presentation skills
- Self-motivated to prioritize and manage workload
- Online or PDF portfolio
- Experience in creating high-fidelity mockups
- Experience in contributing to and maintaining design systems
- Experience with agile development
- Experience with enterprise software
The salary range posted below refers only to positions that will be physically based in California. As with all roles, Medidata sets ranges based on a number of factors including function, level, candidate expertise and experience, and geographic location. Pay ranges for candidates in locations other than California may differ based on the local market data in that region. The base salary pay range for this position is $140,000 to $190,000.
Base pay is one part of the Total Rewards that Medidata provides to compensate and recognize employees for their work. Most sales positions are eligible for a commission on the terms of applicable plan documents, and many of Medidata’s non-sales positions are eligible for annual bonuses. Medidata believes that benefits should connect you to the support you need when it matters most and provides best-in-class benefits, including medical, dental, life and disability insurance; 401(k) matching; unlimited paid time off; and 10 paid holidays per year.