Senior Lead Network Engineer
United States - TX, Houston
Medidata: Conquering Diseases Together
Medidata is leading the digital transformation of life sciences, creating hope for millions of patients. Medidata helps generate the evidence and insights to help pharmaceutical, biotech, medical device and diagnostics companies, and academic researchers accelerate value, minimize risk, and optimize outcomes. More than one million registered users across 1,400 customers and partners access the world's most-used platform for clinical development, commercial, and real-world data. Medidata, a Dassault Systèmes company, is headquartered in New York City and has offices around the world to meet the needs of its customers. Discover more at www.medidata.com.
As a member of the Cloud Engineering and Operations Department, you’ll be part of the infrastructure team responsible for enabling the deployment and ongoing operational excellence of Medidata’s state-of-the-art production data centers. Our infrastructure is growing, and we typically handle multiple design, procurement, ordering, and deployment projects simultaneously. You will be an integral part of these projects and help our company continue its successful global expansion.
The Senior Lead Network Engineer is responsible for all functions relating to the operations and support of our hosting network technology infrastructure. This engineer must be able to work in a highly dynamic environment, either individually or as part of a team. It is required to perform various levels of projects, support initiatives and help to prioritize the workloads while following our Agile project management methodology.
This position is responsible for supporting all network-based activities as part of the Medidata Clinical Cloud Platform. This includes planning and installation of new hardware, monitoring LAN/WAN/Internet circuits uptime and bandwidth while ensuring high network availability, resolving complex client related problems, and designing and implementing all VPN/WAN links within Medidata and with external clients.
- Responsible for following the vision and strategy for Medidata’s hosting network operations
- Responsible for operating Medidata's customer facing data communications systems
- Responsible for all functions relating to the design, planning, implementation, configuration and operation of local and wide-area network solutions between multiple platforms and protocols (including IP) of our hosting network infrastructure
- Ensure the entire network is properly monitored while overseeing alerts regarding network outages are addressed in a timely manner and meet mandated SLAsMonitor network links for performance within set thresholds
- Supports, troubleshoots and repairs network related issues
- Maintain a high level of functionality and availability of all VPN links, routers, switches, firewalls, load balancers and WAN links
- Determines the potential causes of the problem and devise test methodologies for validation
- Coordinates procurement, implementations, and troubleshooting efforts with vendors
- Responsible for leading all project implementations requiring network resources
- Conducts project planning, cost analysis and vendor comparisons
- Identify network configuration and/or performance irregularities while developing procedures to respond to these irregularities in a timely manner
- Create/Maintain network support documentation while constantly improving existing processes and procedures
- Provides training and assists with proposal writing
- Extensive experience with F5 load balancing technologies
- Extensive experience with Palo Alto firewall technologies
- Extensive experience with Cisco routing and switching technologies
- Extensive experience with Infoblox IPAM/DNS
- Experience with Cisco ISE
- Working knowledge of ThousandEyes
- Working knowledge of Noction
- Experience working with SIEMs
- Assist server team support of Cisco UCS technologies
- Assist storage team support of Cisco SAN technologies
- Extensive experience with LAN / WAN / Internet circuit architecture, management and monitoring
- Working knowledge of Aviatrix
- Experience working with AWS Network and Hosting Services along with any other cloud hosting platforms
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Applies strong problem-solving methodologies and tools to diagnose and solve operational and interpersonal problems
- Strong experience with routing- Layer 3, Switching – Layer 2, NAT, WAN protocols is a must
- High proficiency with routing protocols (RIP, OSPF, EIGRP, BGP), VPN and various firewall technologies and vendors.
- Demonstrated experience with various operating systems including but not limited to extensive familiarity with Windows, Linux, VMware ESX, and Cisco IOS
- Network Applications/Protocols including but not limited to extensive familiarity with DHCP, DNS, WINS, FTP, TFTP, SSH, Radius, and TACACS
- Demonstrated experience with physical media including but not limited to familiarity with Cat 5/5e/6 and fiber (single mode and multimode) along with creating cabling schedule diagrams
- Solid understanding of TCP/IP and IP subnetting.
- Strong performance tuning and capacity planning experience
- Provide 24 x 7 production support on a rotating basis.
- Ability to work in as well as help to lead a team
- Must be able to perform effectively in a fast paced, multi-tasking environment while maintaining a high level of service
Medidata requires all U.S. employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and to provide documentation of full vaccination, unless qualified for an accommodation as determined by Medidata, consistent with applicable law. Although accommodation requests will be considered (and granted where appropriate/possible), it may be determined that a candidate is unable to adequately perform the essential functions of the position without imposing an undue hardship on Medidata due to customer requirements, staffing needs, or other business reasons.
Medidata Solutions, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Medidata Solutions provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by the law. Medidata Solutions complies with applicable state and local laws governing non-discrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities.
Your Education & Experience:
- BS degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience required
- Must have at least 8+ years experience as a network support engineer
- CompTIA Network+ certification required
- CompTIA Security+ certification preferred
- CCNP certification or equivalent required
- CCIE certification preferred
- AWS Advanced Networking certification require