United States - NY, New York
Medidata: Powering Smarter Treatments and Healthier People
Medidata, a Dassault Systèmes company, is leading the digital transformation of life sciences, creating hope for millions of people. Medidata helps generate the evidence and insights to help pharmaceutical, biotech, medical device and diagnostics companies, and academic researchers accelerate value, minimize risk, and optimize outcomes. More than one million registered users across 2,000+ customers and partners access the world's most trusted platform for clinical development, commercial, and real-world data. Known for its ground-breaking technological innovations, Medidata has supported more than 30,000 clinical trials and 9 million study participants. And Medidata’s ongoing commitment to infusing the patient voice into trial designs and solutions is helping to create a better and more inclusive experience for all participants in clinical studies. Medidata is involved in nearly 40% of company-initiated trial starts globally, with studies conducted in more than 140 countries. More than 70% of novel drugs approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) in 2022 were developed with Medidata software. Medidata is headquartered in New York City and has offices around the world to meet the needs of its customers. Discover more at www.medidata.com and follow us @medidata.
The Corporate Counsel will report to the Senior Counsel, Litigation & Enterprise Risk Management and will work alongside Medidata’s business units on risk management and mitigation issues, providing practical, business-focused advice across all areas of the company. This will be a varied role, providing opportunities to develop a deep knowledge of the business and counsel internal clients in several areas of law. The Corporate Counsel will also assist with litigation matters and pre-litigation disputes. This is a hybrid in-person/remote position based out of Medidata’s New York City office. Counsel must be available to work out of Medidata’s New York City office at least two times per week.
- Proactively address enterprise risk management issues, including cybersecurity incident readiness and response and intellectual property protection.
- Provide advice and counsel to internal product teams and business functions related to product developments and releases, partnerships and go-to-market strategy.
- Track and advise on proposed laws and regulations, and changes to existing laws and regulations, likely to affect Medidata’s business.
- Advise internal business clients on strategies for avoiding or resolving disputes.
- Work on legal disputes from pre-litigation phase through litigation or arbitration, with oversight from more senior Medidata attorneys, and liaise and collaborate with outside counsel.
- Collaborate with Medidata’s information technology and security teams on e-discovery strategy and process implementation, including document retention processes and procedures.
- Work with Finance, Internal Audit and other members of the Legal Team on matters relating to dispute management and reporting.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Willingness to learn new things and broaden areas of expertise.
- Outstanding organization, analytical and collaboration skills.
- A keen business sense and the skills to find creative solutions to legal issues; the ability to effectively balance legal risk against business interests.
Education & Experience:
- J.D. and 5+ years practicing litigation or counseling in a business-focused area (e.g., competition law, trade secret protection, business-to-business commercial disputes) at a law firm or corporation that has provided top-notch training.
- Member in good standing of the New York State Bar or registered as in-house counsel pursuant to Part 522 of the New York State Court of Appeals.
The salary range posted below refers only to positions that will be physically based in New York City. As with all roles, Medidata sets ranges based on a number of factors including function, level, candidate expertise and experience, and geographic location. Pay ranges for candidates in locations other than New York City, may differ based on the local market data in that region. The base salary pay range for this position is $157,500 to $210,000.
Base pay is one part of the Total Rewards that Medidata provides to compensate and recognize employees for their work. Most sales positions are eligible for a commission on the terms of applicable plan documents, and many of Medidata’s non-sales positions are eligible for annual bonuses. Medidata believes that benefits should connect you to the support you need when it matters most and provides best-in-class benefits, including medical, dental, life and disability insurance; 401(k) matching; unlimited paid time off; and 10 paid holidays per year.