Technical Business Analyst Intern
Internship, Software Development
United States - NY, New York
Medidata: Power Smarter Treatments and Healthier People
Medidata is leading the digital transformation of life sciences, creating hope for millions of patients. Medidata helps generate the evidence and insights to help pharmaceutical, biotech, medical device and diagnostics companies, and academic researchers accelerate value, minimize risk, and optimize outcomes. More than one million registered users across 1,900+ customers and partners access the world's most trusted platform for clinical development, commercial, and real-world data. Medidata, a Dassault Systèmes company, is headquartered in New York City and has offices around the world to meet the needs of its customers. Discover more at www.medidata.com and follow us @medidata.
The Medidata AI internship program is a competitive and comprehensive 12-week rotational program. We provide pioneering data and analytics products to most of the $100B pharmaceutical development industry and our team is made up of data scientists, statisticians, computer scientists, implementation designers, engineers, and business experts.
We are looking for interns to be an integral part of this dynamic team, where you would drive innovative research, client-facing deliverables to collaboratively build new data science solutions. Our team leverages industry-leading data assets and analytical models to transform the clinical development industry, driving clinical and operational success for our clients and partners.
Participation in the internship program requires that you are located in the United States for the duration of the internship program. Roles are based out of either New York City or Boston. This internship is intended for students who are currently pursuing a Master’s degree program in a quantitative discipline with an anticipated graduation date on or before June 2024, depending on their program.
Position Overview / Project Description:
This project will be focused on evaluating existing operational processes, developing business process/workflow documentation, and making actionable recommendations for improvement.
This role will collaborate with data engineers, data scientists, and cross-functional stakeholders to conduct data-driven analyses and provide recommendations to guide the decision-making process of partners.
This project will require expertise in technical writing, business process analysis and improvement, and problem-solving skills.
This internship also offers a unique opportunity to participate in an Innovation Lab. This allows interns to partner with industry leaders and cross-functional teams to work on a real-world business problem that Medidata currently faces. All participants present their solutions to the leadership of the AI team, and the winner presents to the SVPs and CEO of Medidata and other key leadership.
- Evaluating existing operational processes within the Medidata AI technical infrastructure
- Developing operational process/workflow documentation (i.e. SOPs & workflow diagrams)
- Presenting progress reports and integrating feedback from internal teams
- Interpreting complex data and business metrics for relevant stakeholders
- Revising and updating existing procedures and policies
Qualifications / Competencies:
- Strong analytical background and the ability to quickly digest and evaluate business processes with keen attention to detail
- Outstanding structured and critical thinking
- A passion for understanding complex issues with a data driven approach
- A technical bent and the ability to use or to learn to use tools to answer your own questions (e.g. Excel, SQL)
- Excellent communicator capable of documenting business and technical documentation alike
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor's degree in a life science, or quantitative or business discipline (business administration, management information systems, computer science, engineering, statistics or a related field)
- Experience in one of the following types of highly structured or scientific environments: management/healthcare consulting, life sciences, data and analytics role
- Experience with SQL and/or BI tools and a strong background in Microsoft Excel and Powerpoint
- Familiarity with Atlassian product suite (e.g. JIRA, Confluence) a plus
- Familiarity with Big Data processing and distributed database / data warehouse technologies a plus
The salary range posted below refers only to positions that will be physically based in New York City. As with all roles, Medidata sets ranges based on a number of factors including function, level, candidate expertise and experience, and geographic location. Pay ranges for candidates in locations other than New York City, may differ based on the local market data in that region. The base salary pay range for this position is $32.00 to $37.00 per hour with a $3500 sign on bonus.