United Kingdom, Hammersmith
Medidata: Power Smarter Treatments and Healthier People
Medidata is leading the digital transformation of life sciences, creating hope for millions of patients. Medidata helps generate the evidence and insights to help pharmaceutical, biotech, medical device and diagnostics companies, and academic researchers accelerate value, minimize risk, and optimize outcomes. More than one million registered users across 1,900+ customers and partners access the world's most trusted platform for clinical development, commercial, and real-world data. Medidata, a Dassault Systèmes company, is headquartered in New York City and has offices around the world to meet the needs of its customers. Discover more at www.medidata.com and follow us @medidata.
A geographically dispersed team managing various database technologies, including MySQL, Postgres, MongoDB, Oracle, RedShift, and NuoDB, both in AWS and on-prem datacenters. We provide operational support and guidance on development practices and architecture decisions. We integrate closely with engineering and other operations teams to build a scalable, cost-efficient platform to support the needs of the business.
Who we are looking for:
The Database Administrator function is responsible for supporting and coordinating all database activities in area of specialty at Medidata. This includes running scripts, database tuning, monitoring, back-up and recovery, designing and creating databases in area of specialty, resolving complex client related problems, and monitoring all database related work orders relating to their area of specialty in a timely manner.
- Act as Subject Matter Expert for Hosting in one or more of the following specialties: MySQL
- Support AWS and On Prem datacenters.
- Responsible for the overall performance, tuning, backup/recovery of all installed cloud databases in area of specialty
- Verify and run scripts written by programmers in PRODUCTION, UAT and DEV environment for specific area of specialty
- Diagnose and resolve production problems in area of specialty
- Develop optimization plans for client databases.
- Proactive Maintenance and monitoring.
- In a team environment, successfully design, test and deploy database schema in area of specialty.
- Work closely with other IT team members to successfully maintain and monitor the databases
- Work closely with R&D to identify any possible performance bottlenecks.
- Plan and implement database upgrades in area of specialty as needed.
- To ensure that all client requests are handled in a timely manner.
- Adhere to and suggest improvements to the Change Management Process.
- Write custom scripts in area of specialty to automate various daily DBA operations.
- Document and improve existing processes for area of specialty
- Undergraduate degree in a technical or engineering field, such as Electrical Engineering, Computer Science or Software
- 8 plus years of experience in Database Engineering (or Administration) with MySql Server in a production environment
- Uses advanced knowledge of database administration and data management lifecycle to analyze complex issues and implement appropriate solutions and optimize processes for the future in area of specialty
- Analyzes specialized work requests/problems by troubleshooting in area(s) of specialty/specialties
- Translates trending and profiling into performance analysis and designs process improvements for area(s) of specialty/specialties
- Identifies linkages of specialty area to other systems/ applications and communicates potential impact to peers and key stakeholders
- Analyzes how application change will impact the data management systems
- Follows documented processes and procedures to solve complex problems
- Assists in creating documented processes and procedures to solve complex problems
- Assists in developing reports and monitors to ensure problem solving procedures are followed
- Consistently performs independent problem solving for specialty
- Acts as a subject matter expert and resource for problem solving
- Communicates more complicated technical information to peers, requesters, and direct management team in layman's terms in area of expertise
- Communicates with external clients occasionally in area of expertise with management oversight
- Develops technical documents in collaboration with architecture team (e.g., infrastructure diagrams, requirements and constraints, installation qualification, checklists, data lifecycle management policies, etc.) for specialty area
- Trains peers and coworkers (IT colleagues, developers, product teams and professional services) in specialty area
- Builds and maintains partnerships with developers, product team members, etc., to influence process, product and application development
- Understands advanced installation processes for area(s) of specialty/specialties
- Knowledge of database maintenance (e.g., indexes, statistics, and disaster recovery, etc.) in area of specialty and makes recommendations to management
- Analyzes and implements database configuration settings (e.g., memory, storage, etc.) for area of specialty
- Advanced understanding of specialty area (e.g., OLTP, data warehouses, data architect, business objects)
- Scripting knowledge using linux
- Experience creating and managing security groups preferred
- Experience monitoring and troubleshooting advanced maintenance (e.g., indexes, statistics, and disaster recovery, etc.) required
- Experience with YAML-based deployment tools
MDSOL Europe Ltd is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome all applications irrespective of race, gender, gender reassignment, age, religion or belief, relationship status, pregnancy/maternity, sexual orientation or disability.