Lead Clojure Developer
United States - NY, New York
Medidata: Powering Smarter Treatments and Healthier People
Medidata, a Dassault Systèmes company, is leading the digital transformation of life sciences, creating hope for millions of people. Medidata helps generate the evidence and insights to help pharmaceutical, biotech, medical device and diagnostics companies, and academic researchers accelerate value, minimize risk, and optimize outcomes. More than one million registered users across 2,000+ customers and partners access the world's most trusted platform for clinical development, commercial, and real-world data. Known for its ground-breaking technological innovations, Medidata has supported more than 30,000 clinical trials and 9 million study participants. And Medidata’s ongoing commitment to infusing the patient voice into trial designs and solutions is helping to create a better and more inclusive experience for all participants in clinical studies. Medidata is involved in nearly 40% of company-initiated trial starts globally, with studies conducted in more than 140 countries. More than 70% of novel drugs approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) in 2022 were developed with Medidata software. Medidata is headquartered in New York City and has offices around the world to meet the needs of its customers. Discover more at www.medidata.com and follow us @medidata.
We are seeking an experienced Lead Software Engineer to join our Research & Development (R&D) organization. Our R&D department has made significant advancements in utilizing Machine Learning & AI to revolutionize the identification and development of new medicines for our clients, including BioTechs and Pharmaceuticals.
As the Lead Software Engineer, you will play a crucial role in the creation of new products, starting from the ideation phase. Additionally, you will contribute to the enhancement and development of features for existing products, such as:
MEDS Perform/Edge Study Feasibility: This intelligence and analytics product empowers our clients with better decision-making capabilities.
Rave Omics: This product leverages signal analysis derived from Human DNA to aid in the detection of diseases.
Synthetic Control Arms: Addressing the challenge of identifying patient populations for clinical trials, this product helps identify hard-to-find patient populations.
By joining our team, you will have the opportunity to contribute to cutting-edge solutions that have a profound impact on the healthcare industry.
Who we’re looking for:
We’re looking for an experienced Lead Software Engineer to be part of our Medidata AI org. Our AI department has been making amazing strides helping how new medicines are identified and developed by our clients (BioTechs and Pharmaceuticals for example) via Machine Learning & AI. This Lead Software Engineer will assist in building new products (from ideation on). In addition, participate in maintaining and devising new features for existing products like for example:
MEDS Perform/ Edge Study Feasibility: This is an intelligence and analytics product giving our clients better decision making capabilities.
Synthetic Control Arms: Often times identifying a clinical trial patient population is a challenge and this product is used to ID patient populations which are hard to find. &nb
- Possess 5 to 10 years of experience as a Tech lead, with a focus on hands-on coding comprising 75 to 80% of responsibilities, while allocating 20 to 25% for other leadership-related tasks.
- Serve as the lead technical subject matter expert (SME) for technical products, involving responsibilities such as designing the architecture and building the solution.
- Engage with internal stakeholders, including product managers and scientists, to ensure effective collaboration and communication.
- Collaborate with engineers and technical team members in India and the United States on implementation, integration, and other development aspects.
- Demonstrate strong product awareness skills and the ability to translate business requirements into technical solutions.
- Develop application, data, and deployment routines in a rapidly changing environment.
- Create scalable, performant web applications suitable for a service-oriented architecture (SOA) environment.
- Recommend and identify appropriate tools and technologies for solution implementation.
- Emphasize code quality and take pride in deliverables.
- Develop quarterly tech product roadmaps as necessary in collaboration with management.
- Adopt a champion mindset to adapt to changing technologies and provide assistance to cross-functional groups when they face challenges.
Your Education & Experience:
- Bachelor's degree is required, along with a minimum of 7 to 10 years of relevant experience in software engineering; or an advanced degree with 5 years of experience; or an equivalent combination of work experience.
- Proficiency in designing and developing RESTful APIs.
- Experience working with third-party APIs, Web Services, and API Gateways.
- Familiarity with cloud infrastructure, particularly AWS.
- Experience with batch and/or stream processing technologies, such as Apache Kafka.
- Knowledge and practical experience in web frameworks.
- Demonstrated practice of maintaining clean and organized code.
- Experience handling large volumes of data, preferably hundreds of gigabytes or more.
- Advantageous to have proficiency/experience with cloud technologies (IaaS, PaaS, serverless technology, NoSQL databases), microservice design, CI/CD, scalable fault-tolerant platform design, API design, and distributed systems operations in a DevOps model.
- Clojure experience is highly desirable.
The salary range posted below refers only to positions that will be physically based in New York City. As with all roles, Medidata sets ranges based on a number of factors including function, level, candidate expertise and experience, and geographic location. Pay ranges for candidates in locations other than New York City, may differ based on the local market data in that region. The base salary pay range for this position is $114,750 to $153,000.
Base pay is one part of the Total Rewards that Medidata provides to compensate and recognize employees for their work. Most sales positions are eligible for a commission on the terms of applicable plan documents, and many of Medidata’s non-sales positions are eligible for annual bonuses. Medidata believes that benefits should connect you to the support you need when it matters most and provides best-in-class benefits, including medical, dental, life and disability insurance; 401(k) matching; unlimited paid time off; and 10 paid holidays per year.