MEDIDATA AI R&D Developer (Python Dev)
India - KA, Bangalore
Imagine New Horizons
Medidata is leading the digital transformation of life sciences, creating hope for millions of patients. Medidata helps generate the evidence and insights to help pharmaceutical, biotech, medical device and diagnostics companies, and academic researchers accelerate value, minimize risk, and optimize outcomes. More than one million registered users across 1,400 customers and partners access the world's most-used platform for clinical development, commercial, and real-world data. Nine of the top 10 best-selling drugs in 2017 were developed on the Medidata platform. Medidata, a Dassault Systèmes company, is headquartered in New York City and has offices around the world to meet the needs of its customers. Discover more at www.medidata.com.
Acorn AI is one of the largest AI companies exclusively dedicated to life sciences. It is built on Medidata’s platform that includes the industry’s largest structured, standardized and growing clinical trial data repository consisting of 23,000+ trials and 6M patients. Our team is composed of over 300 PhD/Masters data scientists, engineers, analytical product leads, UX and data visualization designers, engagement managers, former FDA biostatisticians and computational genomicists.
What will your role be
As an Applications Engineer, your mission would be to build products (apps, services, tools) that accelerate innovation in Life Sciences by powering the digital transformation of world's most-used platform for clinical development and commercial, real-world data while upholding standards of quality.
As a R&D Applications Engineer you would -
- Design, develop and manage software application using the engineering principles
- Work with architects and other engineers and contribute actively to system architecture and design decisions
- Actively engage in code reviews to improve code quality and promote TDD/BDD approach
- Enforce refactoring, continuous integration, test automation, source code control and review practices, in order to create maintainable, understandable code
- Participate in Agile working practices such as daily stand-up meetings, backlog grooming, sprint planning, and retrospectives.
- Work closely with multiple stakeholders; collaborating with testers to ensure quality, and with product managers to turn great ideas into concrete, implementable requirements
- Follow Medidata’s Standard Operating Procedures to ensure all software meets regulatory and company requirements.
The Challenges ahead
- Be part of a team of engineers’ responsible creating analytical applications that derive data from data pipelines fed by specific algorithms.
- Responsible for data aggregation, transformation, modelling and delivery for both client usage and internal data science teams
- Full-stack design, development, and operation of core data capabilities like data lake, data warehouse, data marts and data pipelines
- Own the team's roadmap and project planning process, partnering with stakeholders to develop business objectives and translate those into action
- Full accountability for one or more data assets
- Work with data architects to develop data flows and align to platform integration standards
- Build data flows for data acquisition, aggregation, and modelling, using both batch and streaming paradigms
- Consolidate/join datasets to create easily consumable, consistent, holistic information
- Empower other data teams, data scientists and data analysts to be as self-sufficient as possible by building core capabilities as services and developing reusable library code
- Ensure efficiency, quality, resiliency of the core data platform
Your key success factors
- Undergraduate or graduate degree in a technical or scientific field, such as Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics, BioInformatics/BioTechnology or similar
- 5+ years professional experience as a data engineer, software engineer, data analyst, data scientist, or related role
- Analytically minded and detail-oriented: you actually like working with data, looking for patterns and outliers, establishing data models, and finding the best answers to business & technology problems
- Expertise in data engineering languages such as Java, Scala/Clojure, Python, SQL with experience of libraries like Django/.Flask and have built scalable & performant applications in any of the above languages
- Have modelled API endpoints / suitable backends to be hooked to disparate front end systems.
- Data modelling and data governance experience; you've designed and implemented data marts, data warehouses or other large-scale data management systems
- Experience building ETL and data pipelines, both with traditional ETL solutions like Pentaho, SSIS, Talend but also via code-oriented systems like Spark, Airflow or similar
- Cloud-oriented with strong understanding of SaaS models particular with AWS
- Experience operating in a secure networking environment, leveraging separate production support and SRE teams is a plus
- Excellent technical documentation and writing skills
- You have a bias towards automation, an Agile/Lean mindset and embrace the Devops culture
- Familiarity with streaming/messaging technologies like Kafka, Kinesis, Spark Streaming,
- Familiarity with visualizing data with Tableau, Business Objects, Quicksight, PowerBI and similar tools
- Great customer focus and strong technical troubleshooting skills
- Proficiency in statistics and data science is a nice-to-have, and interest in learning these is even better
- Experience with clinical trial data is not required, but interest to learn and understand it is a must
- Hadoop/Spark and Graph/RDF/Ontologies experience a plus
Medidata is making a real difference in the lives of patients everywhere by accelerating critical drug and medical device development, enabling life-saving drugs and medical devices to get to market faster. Our products sit at the convergence of the Technology and Life Sciences industries, one of most exciting areas for global innovation. Nine of the top 10 best-selling drugs in 2017 were developed on the Medidata platform.
Medidata’s solutions have powered over 14,000 clinical trials giving us the largest collection of clinical trial data in the world. With this asset, we pioneer innovative, advanced applications and intelligent data analytics, bringing an unmatched level of quality and efficiency to clinical trials enabling treatments to reach waiting patients sooner.
Medidata Solutions, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Medidata Solutions provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, or status as a veteran. Medidata Solutions complies with applicable state and local laws governing non-discrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities.