Senior Corporate Counsel – Commercial Partnerships
United States - NY, New York
Medidata: Powering Smarter Treatments and Healthier People
Medidata, a Dassault Systèmes company, is leading the digital transformation of life sciences, creating hope for millions of people. Medidata helps generate the evidence and insights to help pharmaceutical, biotech, medical device and diagnostics companies, and academic researchers accelerate value, minimize risk, and optimize outcomes. More than one million registered users across 2,000+ customers and partners access the world's most trusted platform for clinical development, commercial, and real-world data. Known for its ground-breaking technological innovations, Medidata has supported more than 30,000 clinical trials and 9 million study participants. And Medidata's ongoing commitment to infusing the patient voice into trial designs and solutions is helping to create a better and more inclusive experience for all participants in clinical studies. Medidata is involved in nearly 40% of company-initiated trial starts globally, with studies conducted in more than 140 countries. More than 70% of novel drugs approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) in 2022 were developed with Medidata software. Medidata is headquartered in New York City and has offices around the world to meet the needs of its customers. Discover more at www.medidata.com and follow us @medidata.
Medidata seeks a Senior Corporate Counsel for our collaborative, business-focused Legal team that operates at the cutting edge of commercial law and life sciences technology. The role requires a practical lawyer who communicates well, and who is comfortable managing legal and business risk in complicated transactions and other initiatives. The Senior Corporate Counsel will provide legal support for strategic projects with critical impact on Medidata's global business. The Senior Corporate Counsel will also lead the negotiation of complex commercial agreements and support various initiatives related to managing Medidata's enterprise risk.
- Draft, review and negotiate variety of agreements, balancing legal risk and business needs. These types of agreements will include SaaS agreements, partnership agreements, alliance agreements, licenses, service level agreements and vendor agreements.
- Act as primary legal support for a varied set of strategic initiatives, including partnerships, collaborations, investments, and acquisitions.
- Establish and document legal team processes and best practices related to knowledge management, contract templates, negotiation, and internal escalations.
- Review new product offerings, advise on legal issues related to new product offerings, and offer practical advice on how best to incorporate these products in to Medidata's existing legal and contractual framework.
- Counsel internal clients on matters related to legal risk and risk mitigation. Work cross-functionally on projects related to enterprise risk management.
- Experience working cross-functionally with sales, finance, R&D, and procurement teams.
- Ability to draft and negotiate complex commercial and technology agreements.
- Strong written and oral communication skills, including the ability to clearly explain legal concepts and issues to non-lawyers.
- Experience both managing others and working independently as primary legal support on internal and customer-facing projects.
- Familiarity with the pharmaceutical, life sciences, or health care industries is preferred.
Education and Experience:
- Minimum eight years of legal experience, ideally with some in-house experience
- Experience with complex technology transactions, particularly related to SaaS products.
- Juris Doctor degree from an accredited law school.
- Member in good standing of the New York State Bar or registered as in-house counsel according to Part 522 of the Rules of the New York State Court of Appeals.
As with all roles, Medidata sets ranges based on a number of factors including function, level, candidate expertise and experience, and geographic location.
The salary range for positions that will be physically based in the NYC Metro Area is $157,500-210,000.
Base pay is one part of the Total Rewards that Medidata provides to compensate and recognize employees for their work. Most sales positions are eligible for a commission on the terms of applicable plan documents, and many of Medidata's non-sales positions are eligible for annual bonuses. Medidata believes that benefits should connect you to the support you need when it matters most and provides best-in-class benefits, including medical, dental, life and disability insurance; 401(k) matching; unlimited paid time off; and 10 paid holidays per year.