Senior Director, Cloud Operations and DevOps
United States - NJ, Iselin
Medidata: Power Smarter Treatments and Healthier People
Medidata is leading the digital transformation of life sciences, creating hope for millions of patients. Medidata helps generate the evidence and insights to help pharmaceutical, biotech, medical device and diagnostics companies, and academic researchers accelerate value, minimize risk, and optimize outcomes. More than one million registered users across 1,900+ customers and partners access the world's most trusted platform for clinical development, commercial, and real-world data. Medidata, a Dassault Systèmes company, is headquartered in New York City and has offices around the world to meet the needs of its customers. Discover more at www.medidata.com and follow us @medidata.
Cloud Infrastructure and software services organization provides global cloud infrastructure services across multiple public and private cloud providers including 24x7 highly available, secure, and reliable technical operations of all applications and databases in Medidata clinical cloud. With a central DevOps organization, our team directly supports all software delivery pipelines of study conduct related product portfolios and responsible for setting up policies and guardrails for various federated DevOps activities including tools to support infrastructure provisioning, orchestration and software deployment.
Who we’re looking for:
A seasoned technology leader to lead technical operations and DevOps activities as part of the Cloud Engineering organization. This position will report directly to the Vice President of Infrastructure and Software Services.
- Leads technical operations of highly secure and scalable clinical cloud Take accountability to drive service interruption root causes to full resolution, working closely with the Problem Management Team Serve in leadership role in resolving service impacting issues.
- Handles rapidly developing problems and issues with products and platforms in an effective and efficient manner and addresses business needs.
- Owns DevOps roadmap for Medidata with a focus to remove bottlenecks and inefficiencies in delivering clinical cloud software to various cloud infrastructures including AWS Cloud, 3DS Outscale Cloud and private Medidata data center
- Works closely with software development teams on a regular cadence to align software development → DevOps → technical operations backlogs and deliverables in the best interest of clinical cloud customers.
- Solicits stakeholder input in a regular cadence to define comprehensive improvement plans to drive service delivery efficiencies.
- Creates tools and automated workflow capabilities to enable the business’s software engineering teams to test and promote code across the engineering departments.
- Drives innovation and provides thought leadership across the teams, rewards innovation, and helps communicate new ideas across teams while fostering and promoting a culture of innovation across local and global teams.
- Communicates DevOps, and Technical Operations initiatives, progress, and results in an objective and comprehensive manner to senior leadership and executive decision makers.
- Responsible for leading strategic planning, influencing, and driving prioritization of initiatives with executive stakeholders, as well as developing and communicating a roadmap of projects and initiatives in support of stakeholder priorities to all levels of the organization.
- Develop and maintain a DevOps roadmap, including key initiatives, timelines, and resource allocation.
- Manage and monitor software releases and continuous delivery pipelines, including coordination with development and operations teams.
- Stay up to date with emerging DevOps, and Operations technologies, trends, and practices, and integrate them into the company's operations where appropriate.
- Deliver services in key operations of Cloud Ops and DevOps including reliability, service delivery and initiatives for Worldwide Infrastructure & Operations.
Requirements (Education & Experience):
- A master’s degree in computer science or any other relevant field.
- A demonstrated experience in enterprise technologies as well as experience in a large-scale technical operation.
- Expert knowledge of modern software delivery concepts & methodologies including continuous integration/delivery pipelines, Kubernetes/container-based cloud infrastructure.
- The candidate must additionally demonstrate strong system-level troubleshooting skills and possess an ability to identify and resolve high-level scalability and performance issues.
- Ability to lead teams with both onshore and offshore resources supporting 24x7 operations.
- Transformation leadership capabilities and the ability to inspire and lead a team through change and transition.
- Strong leadership, communication, and interpersonal skills, with a track record for driving change with measurable outcomes.
The salary range posted below refers only to positions that will be physically based in New York City / New Jersey. As with all roles, Medidata sets ranges based on a number of factors including function, level, candidate expertise and experience, and geographic location. Pay ranges for candidates in locations other than NYC / NJ, may differ based on the local market data in that region. The base salary pay range for this position is $184,500 to $246,000.
Base pay is one part of the Total Rewards that Medidata provides to compensate and recognize employees for their work. Most sales positions are eligible for a commission on the terms of applicable plan documents, and many of Medidata’s non-sales positions are eligible for annual bonuses. Medidata believes that benefits should connect you to the support you need when it matters most and provides best-in-class benefits, including medical, dental, life and disability insurance; 401(k) matching; unlimited paid time off; and 10 paid holidays per year.