Senior User Experience Designer – Remote
United States - CA, San Francisco
Medidata: Powering Smarter Treatments and Healthier People
Medidata is leading the digital transformation of life sciences, creating hope for millions of patients. Medidata helps generate the evidence and insights to help pharmaceutical, biotech, medical device and diagnostics companies, and academic researchers accelerate value, minimize risk, and optimize outcomes. More than one million registered users across 1,400 customers and partners access the world's most-used platform for clinical development, commercial, and real-world data. Nine of the top 10 best-selling drugs in 2017 were developed on the Medidata platform. Medidata, a Dassault Systèmes company, is headquartered in New York City and has offices around the world to meet the needs of its customers. Discover more at www.medidata.com.
Medidata AI is one of the largest AI companies exclusively dedicated to life sciences. It is built on Medidata’s platform that includes the industry’s largest structured, standardized and growing clinical trial data repository consisting of 23,000+ trials and 6M patients. Our team is composed of over 300 PhD/Masters data scientists, engineers, analytical product leads, UX and data visualization designers, engagement managers, former FDA biostatisticians and computational genomicists.
As a UX designer, you will support ongoing development of our operational analytics suite of solutions, which is used by our customers to bring treatments to patients faster by optimizing trial design, forecasting patient enrollment and study performance using artificial intelligence, and monitoring trials in real-time against changing industry conditions. You will create software solutions that help our clients to synthesize information across multiple data feeds, and that use machine learning algorithms and predictive models to improve study design and delivery.
This role is part of a broader team of product managers, designers, data and application engineers, engagement specialists, data scientists, and business experts. The UX designer will work in close collaboration with other project designers and product managers to create a high quality user experience that supports user tasks as well as the product roadmap. Work includes UX research and feedback sessions, information architecture and workflow analysis, in addition to individual feature designs.
- Collaborate with product and design team to envision an application architecture that supports task-focused data display for multiple persona and multi-step workflows.
- Identify user-focused UX solutions that account for detailed business logic, multiple application configurations, and data edge cases.
- Create collateral with increasing resolution throughout the product requirements and design process. Outputs include high-level conceptual diagrams, wireframes, low-fi prototypes, high-fidelity mockups and fully-developed feature UI.
- Work with engineers, product owners, and the design team to evaluate design options and refine scope throughout the design process. Provide support as needed during implementation.
- Apply an existing style system, and propose extensions and updates as needed to support the function of our application.
- Maintain a local application component system (Figma), pattern library, and detailed design documentation.
- Participate in ongoing product evaluation and user research initiatives (usability sessions, user feedback, persona interviews, etc.), and synthesize/translate results to inform product requirements and specific design solutions.
- Conduct brainstorming or whiteboarding sessions with different stakeholders.
- Strong portfolio demonstrates experience designing technical software products and complex analytical tools. Designs present several levels of information, serve multiple target persona, and include workflows that support handoff processes between teams and across software solutions.
- Experience on long-term projects designing for enterprise software in a data-rich environment.
- Strong design skills, particularly regarding information architecture and software workflows. Able to quickly grasp and implement concepts as carefully thought-out feature designs.
- Strong understanding of UX research principles, and experience translating research results into practical design solutions.
- Advanced skills in wireframing and interactive prototyping tools (preferably Figma and Axure), including maintenance and use of style and symbol/component libraries.
- Experience creating high-fidelity mockups within an existing design system.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills. Strengths in problem solving, multi-functional collaboration and issue resolution, with a demonstrated ability to manage multiple priorities in an agile development environment.
- High attention to detail.
- Flexible approach to design methods and process. Willingness to experiment and reach for ambitious goals. Openness to feedback and a desire to learn.
- Comfort working with business and functional requirements to create user-centered and task-focused designs. Builds solutions that can be broken down and developed over time, while supporting long-term product and design goals.
- Support project lead in managing design team tasks and scheduling.
Nice to have(s) but not required…
- Experience designing functional UI within a browser application
- Experience in project or product management or an interest in design ops is a plus.
- High data fluency: background in science, mathematics, or another technical field is desirable.
- Familiarity with Agile development and JIRA.
- Experience interfacing with clients and end users to identify user persona, core use cases and complex user tasks.
- Knowledge of clinical trials/healthcare industry a plus.
- Experience designing for tablet and phone apps.
Your Education & Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree (in UX or a related design discipline) and a minimum of 5 years of related experience; or an advanced degree and 3 years of work experience; or a PhD without experience, or equivalent work experience
As with all roles, Medidata sets ranges based on a number of factors including function, level, candidate expertise and experience, and geographic location.
The salary range for positions that will be physically based in the NYC Metro Area is $114,750-$153,000.
The salary range for positions that will be physically based in the California Bay Area is $121,500-$162,000.
The salary range for positions that will be physically based in the Boston Metro Area is $113,250-$151,000.
The salary range for positions that will be physically based in Texas or Ohio is $101,250-$135,000
The salary range for positions that will be physically based in all other locations within the United States is $102,750-$137,000.
Base pay is one part of the Total Rewards that Medidata provides to compensate and recognize employees for their work. Most sales positions are eligible for a commission on the terms of applicable plan documents, and many of Medidata’s non-sales positions are eligible for annual bonuses. Medidata believes that benefits should connect you to the support you need when it matters most and provides best-in-class benefits, including medical, dental, life and disability insurance; 401(k) matching; unlimited paid time off; and 10 paid holidays per year.