Sr. Data Privacy Counsel
United States - NY, New York
Medidata: Powering Smarter Treatments and Healthier People
Medidata, a Dassault Systèmes company, is leading the digital transformation of life sciences, creating hope for millions of people. Medidata helps generate the evidence and insights to help pharmaceutical, biotech, medical device and diagnostics companies, and academic researchers accelerate value, minimize risk, and optimize outcomes. More than one million registered users across 2,000+ customers and partners access the world's most trusted platform for clinical development, commercial, and real-world data. Known for its ground-breaking technological innovations, Medidata has supported more than 30,000 clinical trials and 9 million study participants. And Medidata’s ongoing commitment to infusing the patient voice into trial designs and solutions is helping to create a better and more inclusive experience for all participants in clinical studies. Medidata is involved in nearly 40% of company-initiated trial starts globally, with studies conducted in more than 140 countries. More than 70% of novel drugs approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) in 2022 were developed with Medidata software. Medidata is headquartered in New York City and has offices around the world to meet the needs of its customers. Discover more at www.medidata.com and follow us @medidata.
This is an opportunity to be part of a privacy team that tackles some of the most complex questions at the intersection of privacy law, technology and life sciences research as part of our tight-knit, dynamic legal department at our U.S. headquarters in New York City. Our privacy team works with all groups across Medidata to incorporate privacy in everything we do in service of our mission: to advance the development of new treatments. Key details about our privacy program are at Medidata.com/Trust.
We seek a Senior Data Privacy Counsel for our industry-leading privacy program. The Senior Data Privacy Counsel will report to Medidata’s VP, Associate General Counsel - Privacy, and will work closely with our highly collaborative, cross-functional teams.
● Commercial Support: Partner with Medidata’s commercial team on data privacy matters during contract negotiations with Medidata’s customers and partners.
● Product Counseling: Advise Medidata’s R&D and Product teams on privacy-by-design best practices, including providing actionable advice on data privacy, data use, and data security requirements.
● Privacy Program Support: Provide counsel and support to Medidata’s Privacy Program, specifically with respect to Medidata’s obligations as a data controller.
● Awareness: Maintain awareness of privacy laws and regulations, and proactively advise Medidata’s business teams on the impact of developments in the law.
● Regulatory Affairs: Engage and support Medidata’s leadership in privacy-focused industry groups.
● Agility and a growth mindset; willingness to learn new things and broaden areas of expertise.
● Excellent written and oral communication skills.
● Ability to collaborate with multiple teams simultaneously.
● Strong analytical skills and the ability to develop well-reasoned solutions to problems for which there is no clear answer.
● Ability to communicate actionable advice to technologists and other non-privacy practitioners about complex privacy regimes.
Your Education & Experience
● J.D. and 4+ years of post-law school experience advising clients on global data privacy laws.
● At least one core IAPP CIPP, CIPM, or CIPT certification, or a willingness to obtain such certification within 3 months of start.
● Fluency in the EU’s GDPR with the ability to learn and implement requirements from other emerging data privacy laws as may be required.
● Experience advising clients within the healthcare, life sciences or equivalent industry focused on data privacy and regulatory compliance is a plus.
● Understanding of SaaS and/or experience working alongside product and technical teams is a plus.
● Member in good standing of the New York State Bar or registered as in-house counsel pursuant to Part 522 of the New York State Court of Appeals
LOCATION: This is a hybrid in-person/remote position based in Medidata’s New York City office. Counsel must be available to work from Medidata’s New York City office at least two days per week.
The salary range posted below refers only to positions that will be physically based in New York City. As with all roles, Medidata sets ranges based on a number of factors including function, level, candidate expertise and experience, and geographic location. Pay ranges for candidates in locations other than New York City, may differ based on the local market data in that region. The base salary pay range for this position is $170,500 to $210,000.
Base pay is one part of the Total Rewards that Medidata provides to compensate and recognize employees for their work. Most sales positions are eligible for a commission on the terms of applicable plan documents, and many of Medidata’s non-sales positions are eligible for annual bonuses. Medidata believes that benefits should connect you to the support you need when it matters most and provides best-in-class benefits, including medical, dental, life and disability insurance; 401(k) matching; unlimited paid time off; and 10 paid holidays per year.