Sr. Staff Software Engineer – Full Stack – Ingestor
United States - NY, New York
Our company: At Medidata, we help life science companies bring innovative treatments and therapeutics to market. Our software is used in over 60% of clinical trials. We are proud to have helped our customers deliver COVID-19 vaccines at record-breaking speeds. Now, we’re bringing the same innovation and efficiency to other areas of life sciences. We are building a world where novel life-saving therapies are developed faster and safer. How about that for a mission?
Our Platform: Medidata’s data platform is the backbone of all our products and services. It powers a significant percentage of clinical development across the globe and plays a key role in finding new treatments for disease, contributing to the advancement of science and a healthier world.
Our Team: Our team is responsible for Medidata’s self-service data mesh platform. Our customers depend on our ability to process and analyze large quantities of data in real time. We focus on solving complex real-world problems while shipping practical solutions. What we do is as much art as it is science, and as Steve Jobs put it, “Real artists ship.”
We’re looking for a Sr. Staff Software Engineer with 8+ years of experience who shares our passion for solving real-world engineering challenges and thrives on iterating and shipping frequently. You should have experience designing and developing software applications across the full stack and writing concise, clean, maintainable code to deliver solutions.
We’re in the process of rethinking and rebuilding the ingestion and integration feature from the ground up. You’ll help drive architecture decisions and lead the team to a successful initial product release.
Here is a list of tools and approaches we use. We don’t ask you to be an expert in all of them, but we expect you to be productive in this environment.
- Our frontend is built using React. We believe it offers a good development experience, community support, and scales nicely to larger application codebases. You should have experience with React or similar frontend end frameworks (i.e. Angular, Vue, Svelte). We also love many concepts from Stimulus and are always exploring various frameworks and concepts to enhance our environment.
- We are very polyglot when it comes to backend frameworks. Many of our applications are built on top of Rails, but some teams chose Python (Flask) and other tools. We haven’t yet decided on what we’ll use as our backend framework for the new Ingestor, but you should have deep expertise in one or more web frameworks and have good familiarity with a few.
- We’re not dogmatic about our language and runtime choices; instead, we’re pragmatic and lean heavily towards shipping great code using runtimes and frameworks that support this.
- Most of our enterprise data processing happens on the stream. We build our event streaming platform on top of Kafka and Flink. You should have a good grasp and some experience with event based streaming systems.
- We deploy our infrastructure on top of Kubernetes (AWS EKS). Because we practice DevOps, we expect you to have a good understanding of container-based environments and experience working with Terraform, Ansible, or similar tools.
- We embrace functional programming but are not pedantic about it. We favor immutable state and prefer composable functional abstractions over large class hierarchies. You should be experienced in both OO and functional programming methodologies and be able to leverage the advantages of each method.
- We love clean and maintainable code and leverage deep abstractions to help us deliver quality software that’s easy to maintain, faster. We hope you have a similar passion for great code and abstractions and can show us some of the work you have done!
- We embrace ShapeUp concepts when we work, so our engineers don’t just operate a conveyor belt of stories and tickets. Instead, we rely on engineers to help us solve complex problems, consider various constraints, and think through the tradeoffs.
Criteria we use to consider hiring a Sr. Staff Software Engineer at Medidata
- Capable of working completely autonomously
- Helps set and maintain professional standards for the team
- Deep, substantial expertise in multiple programming environments
- Capable of running and directing small teams for substantial projects
- Capable of executing projects across multiple domains and environments
- Invents new concepts and pushes the whole team forward regularly
** When applying, please include a cover letter describing why you think you’ll be a great candidate for this role and anything relevant that would help you and your experience stand out. Please also include links to your prior work (i.e. Github/Gitlab projects, blog posts, white papers, or anything else you can share). Thanks!**
As with all roles, Medidata sets ranges based on a number of factors including function, level, candidate expertise and experience, and geographic location.
The salary range for positions that will be physically based in the NYC Metro Area is $158,000-186,000.
The salary range for positions that will be physically based in the California Bay Area is $167,000-222,000.
The salary range for positions that will be physically based in the Boston Metro Area is $155,000-207,000.
The salary range for positions that will be physically based in Texas or Ohio is $139,000-186,000.
The salary range for positions that will be physically based in all other locations within the United States is $141,000-188,000.
Base pay is one part of the Total Rewards that Medidata provides to compensate and recognize employees for their work. Most sales positions are eligible for a commission on the terms of applicable plan documents, and many of Medidata’s non-sales positions are eligible for annual bonuses. Medidata believes that benefits should connect you to the support you need when it matters most and provides best-in-class benefits, including medical, dental, life and disability insurance; 401(k) matching; unlimited paid time off (subject to management discretion); and 10 paid holidays per year.